26 Feb RECIPE: Pasta Free Lasagne
When avoiding carbs, there is no reason why you can’t still prepare your favourite dishes. When it comes to traditional pasta dishes, swapping out pasta for vegetables is simple! This recipe is a delicious way to enjoy rich taste combined with a range of wholesome vegetables. My husband created this dish with reduced amounts of tomato base (to protect my sensitive stomach) and we love it!
Gluten, dairy and sugar free. Paleo* friendly.
Preparation time: 70 minutes: 20 minutes prep time and 50 minutes cooking time
Makes 6-8 serves
- 1 head of silverbeet
- 1-2 eggplants (depending on the size)
- 6-8 zucchinis
- 1 kg mince, combination beef, and pork
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 x 145g salt-reduced tomato paste or 1/2 jar of passata sauce (aim for as low sugar as possible)
- 2 x large brown onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Small 250g pouch of dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Herbs of your choice (we like thyme & rosemary)
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Slice the eggplant into longs trips, lengthways, no more than 1cm thick (like lasagna sheets). Salt each side of the eggplant and leave to sweat for about 15 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Fry in batches on a medium heat large fry pan in butter until brown. Set side.
- Dice onions and garlic and sauté in butter until translucent. Add mince, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and continue stirring until meat is brown.
- Add in herbs, chili, olive oil, tomato paste/passata, bay leaves, and red wine. Stir well and let simmer for 20-30 minutes covered until wine reduces. Add additional herbs, spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- While the meat is simmering, slice zucchini lengthways and pull off silverbeet leaves to make large sheets. Set aside.
- Once the meat sauce has reduced, layer a large baking dish with ingredients. Starting with a small amount of the meat sauce on the bottom (we tend to start with silverbeet, then zucchini, meat layer, eggplant, cheese, meat layer – repeat).
- Once finished the layering process, top the lasagna with a generous sprinkle of cheese and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in the oven for 40minutes until the cheese is beginning to brown.
PDF Downloadable Version: Pastaless Lasagne