07 Dec Recipe: Smart Choice Chocolate
Instead the usual sugar laden supermarket chocolate, opt for these sugar free, low carb, gut friendly and blood sugar supportive treats. Don’t be afraid of the fat content. Rich in healthy fats, these will only add to your health. Experiment with different added ingredients and find your favourite flavour. Our top picks are peppermint and coconut, berry and coconut and peanut butter crunch (peanut butter and chopped peanuts).
Gluten, dairy and sugar free. Low carb, keto, paleo and vegan friendly.
Preparation time: 40 minutes – 10 minutes preparation time and 30 minutes setting time.
Makes 6 small servings
Approximate calories: 140 calories per 1 chocolate Net carbs-3g Protein-1g Fat-13g
- 80g Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons stevia (I use Natvia)
- Vary the flavour of your chocolate using any of the below ingredients
- 3 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop orange essential oil
- Chopped nuts
- Cacao nibs
- 4-5 mixed organic berries
- 1 heaped tablespoon of peanut butter
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave for approximately 40 seconds – 1minute.
- Add melted coconut oil, cacao, and stevia to blender cup.
- If adding flavour to your chocolate – add either essential oil or berries to the mixture (save the chunkier bits like nuts until after the blend or it wont have the same texture).
- Blend for around 15 seconds.
- Add in any additions (like coconut or nuts) and stir well.
- Using a non-stick molding tray (we use a muffin tin or extra large compartmented ice cube tray) spoon equal amounts of chocolate mixture into 6 sections.
- Place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and turn muffin tray over. Push in the middle of each nest to remove the chocolates or tap gently on a bench.
Remember that coconut oil melts in heat, so these may not stand warmer days out of the fridge!
PDF Version: Smart Choice Chocolate