26 Dec Recipe: Low Carb Carrot Cake
This healthy low carb version of a family favourite will have tongues wagging. Tasty and loaded with plenty of nutritious ingredients, you’ll have a delicious accompaniment to afternoon tea. This recipe is a modified version of a Merrymaker Sisters original recipe.
Gluten, grain and sugar free. Low carb, keto, vegetarian and paleo friendly.
Preparation time: 1 ½ hours: 30 mins prep time, 50-60 mins cooking time
Makes 12 serves
Approximate calories per serve: 295 Protein – 6.6 Net carbs – 2.4 Healthy Fat – 26g
For the cake
- 3 cups almond meal
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 500 g carrot peeled and grated
- 300 g butter melted
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 6 eggs
- 4 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 6 tbsp. of stevia powder
- Pinch of salt
For the frosting
- 2 blocks of full fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons stevia powder
- 1 lemon juice and rind
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line 2 x 20 cm cake tins. Don’t use spring form cake tins.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Dissolve the stevia in minimal amount of boiling water.
- Add the eggs, butter, coconut milk, stevia, carrots and stir really well.
- Fill the cake tins with the cake batter and place in to the oven for 50 minutes or until cooked entirely and golden brown.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the
- Whip the cream cheese, lemon rind, lemon juice, vanilla extract and dissolved stevia until combined and fluffy. Check the taste is lemony and sweet enough for your liking.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread frosting on top of both cakes evenly, the carefully place one cake on top of the other. Sprinkle with a few extra walnuts.
PDF Version of this recipe: Low Carb Carrot Cake
Original recipe credits: https://themerrymakersisters.com/sugar-free-grain-free-gluten-free-carrot-cake/