14 Jul RECIPE: Choc Coconut Cupcakes
For months, I have been trying to find ideas for chocolate cupcakes that I could take to a nut free environment. Most low carb and gluten free desserts are made with almond flour which is ruled out! I found a great recipe online from Megan Seelinger and altered it to make it my own. This recipe is easy to make and super tasty – without any of the the sugar concerns! Pack in kids lunchboxes or send in for birthdays – kids wont know the difference!
Gluten, grain and sugar free. Low carb, keto and vegetarian friendly.
Preparation time: 45 minutes: 15 minutes preparation time, 30 minutes cooking time
Makes 12 cupcakes
to be sent an online invoice for your copy of ‘Kitchen Alchemy’ Recipe Ebook.
Once payment is processed, you will be emailed your copy.
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 Cup grass-fed butter, melted
- 7 tablespoons cacao powder
- 5 Eggs
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/paste/essence
- 2/3 Cup Coconut Flour
- 2/3 Cup stevia (I like Natvia)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
For the Frosting
- 1 block of full-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup of softened butter (optional but makes It creamier)
- 4 tablespoons stevia powder
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C and line a muffin pan with tin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, cocoa powder, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add the coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, salt, coconut oil, almond milk and blend until fully combined. Add room temperature eggs and vanilla and blend until well combined.
- Warm the butter mixture over a very low heat double boiler on the stove stop. Turn off the stove top when just warm enough. Add in the rest of the mixture and mix well until combined. This is a funny step I know, but the butter goes hard if you don’t do it this way. You just have to be very careful not to have the boiler too hot or on for too long – the eggs in the mixture may start to cook!
- Divide batter among prepared muffin tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the centre of cupcakes, if it is clean when you pull it out the cupcakes are done! Set aside on a cooling rack.
To make the Frosting
- Dissolve stevia into a small amount of boiling water (as little as possible) this ensures your mixture doesn’t have a crunchy granule texture
- Using a handheld beater, whip the cream cheese, softened butter, vanilla extract, cacao and dissolved stevia until combined and fluffy.
- Check the mixture is sweet enough – add more dissolved stevia or cacao if you desire a sweeter taste.
- Pipe onto the top of cupcakes and decorate with shaved or chopped sugar free chocolate and coconut.
Decorate with whatever goodies you like – get creative!
PDF Downloadable Version: Choc Coconut Cupcakes