17 Jul RECIPE: Baby Friendly Bread
This original recipe is another of Pete Evan’s from his book ‘Eat Your Greens.’ I have modified it to be baby friendly. When you download the PDF version, you can find the original on page 2.
Full of fibre and healthy fats. Not only is it a great early food option for babies who are yet to be exposed to wheat (generally around 10-12 months), but it is great for the whole family. Rich in omega 3 fatty acids and protein, baby will love feeding themselves and gaining independence around meal time.
*Only introduce this is baby has had egg yolks and is tolerating them well. You may wish to have also introduced any oil/ghee prior to including in your bread.*
Gluten, grain dairy and sugar free. Paleo* friendly.
Preparation time: 100 mins 70 minutes prep time 30 minutes cooking time
Makes 1 x small baby size loaf (see page 2 of the PDF for full size)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup 1 golden or brown flaxseeds/linseeds
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/8 cup Psyllium husks
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 3-4 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs (if past 9/10 months and baby tolerates well)
- 1/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil/ghee/olive oil/avo oil
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- Place the hemp seeds and flax seeds in a bowl, pour in the hot water and stir well. Allow to soak for 1 hour at room temperature (the seeds will expand in the water).
- Preheat the oven to 150C fan forced (170 regular). Grease a small mini loaf tin or use a small silicone muffin casing (this will then be round in shape) .If using a tin, line the base and sides with baking paper, cutting into the corners to fit.
- Transfer the soaked seed mixture to the bowl of a small food processor or “Nutribullet” (or similar) blender and process for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides regularly, until a wet dough forms. Next, add the psyllium husks and coconut flour and blend until well combined.
- Add the egg yolks/egg, vinegar, oil, bicarbonate of soda and blend for about 1 minute to form a thick dough.
- Place the dough the prepared loaf tin and pat down. Bake for 20-30 mins (oven dependent), rotating the tin half way so the loaf cooks evenly. To check if the bread is cooked, insert a skewer in the centre; if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Allow the bread to cool a little in the tin before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into long finger length slices for baby to grasp and serve and add butter/ghee/avocado/pate.
PDF Downloadable Version: Baby Friendly Hemp and Flax Bread