17 Jun MAY – Drink more H20
Drink 4 L of water
Water… Whether bathing, swimming or drinking – it’s important. Water makes a big difference to me. I get a headache around 10am if I haven’t had enough and I always find that I have better bowel movements and lack of bloat when I don’t get the fluids in. Sexy…
I knew I needed to get more in me! I set this as one of my health resolutions for the month. (View my May resolutions here)
To better understand my body and it’s need for water, I researched all the benefits of getting enough H20.
- It relieves fatigue – When there is less water in the body, there is a drop of blood volume which causes the heart to work harder to pump oxygenated blood out in the bloodstream, and other major organs also work less efficiently.
- Improves mood (and therefore happiness levels) – Research indicates that mild dehydration (even one or two percent lower hydration level of hydration than optimal) can negatively affect your mood and ability to think.
- Treats Headaches and Migraines – which explained my 10am headaches!
- Helps in Digestion and Constipation – YAS! I felt the effects of this! Water improves the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. This helps in digestion and prevents constipation. Inadequate water in the body often results in constipation. Warm water, in particular, is good for digestive health.
- Aids Weight Loss – Helps increase the rate at which the body burns fat, and promotes the breakdown and elimination of fat cells.
- Flushes Out Toxins – Water is an excellent detoxifier as it helps flush out toxins from your body and get rid of waste primarily through sweat and urine.
I had tried everything over the years to improve my intake. I tried drinking it with cordial, but pulled back because I was worried about the sugar free chemicals. I instantly catastrophized that situation and was convinced I was giving myself parkinson’s disease or was headed for a stroke. Then, I’d put lemons and limes in it – but then forgot the bottle at work over a few days and then mould would fester away in the bottom around the fruit. Ew! I couldn’t being myself to use the bottle again (albeit clean!).
In the end, I just needed to man up and make sure I drank enough!
Achieving this resolution was easy Monday-Friday. I drank warm lemon water each morning when I woke up. My strategy for ensuring I drank enough was to fill up my 2 large water bottles at the beginning of the day and then chug away. Before this was a resolution, I was only using the 1 bottle and it was up to me to refill, which I would constantly forget or get too distracted to do! My purple bottles served as a constant reminder to drink up!
It worked. I’d polish off at least a litre at the gym in the morning and then a further 3 litres at work…genius!
The weekends was where I fell short. I wasn’t haul assing my giant water bottles around. It was up to me to ensure I was much more aware of drinking water throughout the day.
My bowels and bloating improved and I was a happy, water filled lady.
I certainly noticed a difference both mentally and physically!